By S. Manian Ramkurar, Ph.D.
$200 for members / $295 non-members
Presented in Two (2) 90 minute Sessions / June 14 and 15
This course will provide an introductory but hollistic understanding of the surface mount and mixed technology assembly processes for lead based and lead free electronics packaging. Topics include PCBs, assembly types, component types, assembly process, assembly materials, identification of defects, troubleshooting and process control. Design for ease of manufacture and assembly will be discussed throughout the lecture. Tradeoff decisions between different materials and equipment types will also be highlighted. A comparison of lead based and lead free process will be provided, including implementation issues.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
1. Identify various SMT components, their terminology and nomenclature
2. Understand what a PCB is and also the need for effective thermal management
3. Identify types of mixed technology PCB assemblies and their assembly sequence
4. Understand the influence of design on the ease of manufacturing and assembly
5. Understand thoroughly the entire assembly process and the various parameters that influence it.
6. Understand the influence of various materials such as solder paste, adhesives, flux, etc.
7. Detect assembly process defects and troubleshoot them.
8. Evaluate equipment required for setting up assembly lines
9. Understand Lead Free Implementation and Issues.